Thursday, October 14, 2010

toddler-friendly food

Cooking for my 13-mo-old has been a challenge. It doesn't help that we've moved into an unfamiliar kitchen and are still locating odds and ends in strange places. (Where are those cookie sheets again??) We've also been generally overwhelmed and cooking falls by the wayside. It is something I need to get a better handle on.

I've been following the very nice and aptly named blog Cooking with My Kid for a while. I'm sure it initially caught my eye through Ohdeedoh. It has many recipes that look not only child-friendly but appetizing to adults as well. Tonight I tried out her recipe for Baked Spinach & Rice.

I did not take a photo, but here is the lovely picture from the blog:


Looks yummy, right? The best part was that my toddler took one bite and then opened her mouth EXTRA wide for the next bite. Good deal.

I modified it a little bit just because I only had cheddar (not mozzarella) on hand. But I think that the cheddar was the way to go.

Baked Spinach & Rice Recipe from Cooking with My Kid
Prep Time: 25 mins (mostly unattended)  Cooking Time: 30 mins
Ingredients:
1 package rice pilaf
1 box frozen chopped spinach
1 cup mozzarella cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1/4 cup lowfat milk
Defrost spinach and squeeze dry. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cook rice according to package directions and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in chopped spinach, cheese, milk and eggs. Pour into greased square baking dish and cook for 30 minutes or until set. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares for serving. Serves 4 to 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...