Thursday, December 16, 2010

baked kale chips

My new fabulous and food-savvy friends Diana and Sarah turned me onto the wonderful idea of kale chips. I'm not one of those people who needs kale to taste like a chip to enjoy it. I really like kale and it might even be my green of choice! (Dandelion greens on the other hand... I've tried them more than once and hated them more than once. I won't try those noxious weeds again until they do in fact taste like a chip.) 

What particularly sold me on kale chips was that my toddler actually liked them! If I can get her to eat less Annie's Bunnies and more kale, I'll be a happy lady. So I just gave them a try today.


I'll admit, my first batch failed. Turns out that if I don't set a timer, I will not remember that I have something in the oven. D'oh. So an hour or so later, I had some very sad kale remnants to contend with. But fortunately, they are so easy to make that I tried another batch immediately. They only take a few minutes to get into the oven (or about the length of the song "Addicted to Love" -- not important how I know that) and then they bake for about 25 minutes.

:: :: ::

baked kale chips

1/2 bunch curly red kale (or whatever kind you want)
1 tbs olive oil
kosher salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 275. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Remove stems and ribs from kale and then chop. Mix with olive oil and salt in a bowl, and then spread on a cookie sheet in one layer. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...