Sunday, January 23, 2011

Meet Jack Rose

Not the guitarist. Not the gangster. I'm talking booze. 
To celebrate the arrival of my new martini glasses, we decided to have a cocktail night. Until recently, I've had a strange disdain of martini glasses. I think it is because the martini is my parents' drink of choice and I don't think I've ever seen them drink out of a stemmed martini glass. And I have seen them drink a whole hell of a lot of martinis. They always drink out of a lowball glass, or more usually a French Picardie tumbler. That's just how they roll.


{This is where I'm compelled to say, "A martini is gin and vermouth. Not vodka."} 


So I've just ignored martini glasses over the years. I don't know what brought about the switchover, but here I am with my sparkly new set of CB2 stemware and a desire to create some cocktails. 


The inaugural cocktail was the lovely Jack Rose, a drink popular in the 1920s (adapted from the recipe featured on thekitchn.com:

Makes one cocktail

1 1/2 ounces Calvados
1 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce grenadine syrup
Shake it all up in a shaker with ice. Pour into lovely CB2 cocktail glasses.



Here's the crazy part of this otherwise very straightforward recipe. I got a bee in my bonnet to make the grenadine from scratch. Seems silly when you can just buy the stuff at the liquor store (and even sillier when you realize that I had I bottle in my possession)... but here's the thing: that crap that you buy in the store is composed almost exclusively of high fructose corn syrup and artificial food coloring. Sick. I just hate HFCS, and grenadine is traditionally a pomegranate syrup. I wanted actual pomegranate juice in my grenadine! So here's what I did (also adapted from a recipe featured on thekitchn.com:

Homemade Grenadine
1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice (I used Pom... just make sure it is 100% pomegranate juice)
1/2 cup sugar

Simmer and stir for about 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. That should make enough for about 8 drinks. So easy, and so much better then the alternative!

3 comments:

  1. was it really better? wow. i am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never would have thought of that. J and I occasionally have cocktail nights, so I will have to try out your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might we be having these for our toddler play date this Saturday?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...